Although just over the William R, Bennett bridge from downtown Kelowna, West Kelowna has been a municipality since 2007. It has quickly become a popular area with Greater Kelowna residents. The city capitalizes on its outstanding natural scenery and convenience to amenities, on the western shores of Lake Okanagan.
An extensive business center runs along Highway 97, with shopping, restaurants, medical clinics, and hotels. Area amenities are plentiful, via a system of city parks and beaches, community centers, arenas, and a large indoor pool complex. Beautiful lakes, golf courses, and popular ski areas are within easy reach. Provincial parks with breathtaking hiking trails surround the urban center. An active and growing network of excellent schools attracts families to the city.
West Kelowna lies within the traditional lands of the Westbank First Nations, whose business initiatives and significant population are essential contributors to the municipality’s economy. Syilx culture is prominent throughout the city, with a stunning new winery, a museum, festivals and an impressive public art program.
- Excellent views of Lake Okanagan
- All urban amenities within 10 minutes of every neighbourhood
- Westbank First Nation
- Westside Wine Trail and internationally acclaimed wineries
- Historic sites
- Farm Loop
- Multiple clubs and organizations
- Multiple community events and festivals
- Plentiful restaurants (casual to fine dining)
- Plentiful retail options (boutique to big-box)
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Golf courses
- Preschool, elementary, middle, and high schools (School District 23 and private schools)
- Regional library branch
- Community/Recreation centers
- Indoor public pool
- Ice arena
- Seniors’ center
- Public beaches and boat launches
- Well-maintained public parks with pavilions, sports courts, splash parks, skate parks
- Extensive bus service
- Close to Kelowna International Airport
Housing in West Kelowna is booming. New single-family-home subdivisions with impressive views over the lake are popular with residents. Retirement communities, golf course living and purpose-built neighbourhoods with shared amenities found throughout the city. Quiet, established communities tucked into forested pockets on the west side of the highway. Agricultural acreages mingle among the more densely populated areas. Strata units are also available in the form of condos, townhomes and seasonal properties. Easy access to the city and central travel corridors, plentiful urban conveniences and abundant nature make West Kelowna an excellent choice for an active lifestyle.