Vernon is the perfectly-sized city in the heart of the North Okanagan Valley that appeals to the young or mature family.
The economic and cultural center of the region boasts a pretty and thriving downtown, urban amenities, and plenty of educational and cultural offerings. It also has a fantastic natural landscape, where gorgeous lakes and welcoming beaches kiss the foothills of the magnificent Monashee Mountains. The city’s population of around 40,000 makes for a vibrant and varied community.
Vernon has something for everyone: families, retirees, and young singles, all of whom find it easy to pursue the good life. Healthy living is encouraged, here–outdoor adventurers never get bored! Excellent trail systems, plentiful watersports, world-class skiing, and beautiful golf courses, along with local, fresh, organic produce and award-winning wines, all feed Vernon residents’ bodies. Cultural events, museums, galleries, educational opportunities, and family-friendly festivals inspire the soul.
Vernon offers a perfect mix of big-city living with a small-town heart.
- Heritage architecture and quaint, bustling downtown
- All urban amenities within 15 minutes of every neighbourhood
- Rural agriculture convenient to center
- Historic sites
- Multiple clubs and organizations
- Farmers’ markets
- Multiple community events and festivals
- Numerous cultural opportunities (theatre, art galleries, museums, musical performances)
- Abundance of restaurants (casual to fine dining)
- Generous retail options (boutique to big-box)
- Outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, biking, watersports)
- Beautiful lakes
- Championship golf courses
- World-class wine region
- Convenient to world-class downhill and cross-country skiing
- Preschool, elementary, middle, and high schools, alternative schooling, (School District 83, private, and parochial schools)
- Okanagan College
- Silver Star Mountain Ski Resort
- Convenient to the University of British Columbia, Okanagan
- Vernon Jubilee Hospital
- Regional law buildings
- Municipal buildings
- Regional library branch
- Convenient to Kelowna International Airport
- Community/Recreation centers
- Indoor public pool
- Ice arena
- Seniors’ center
- Public beaches and boat launches
- Well-maintained public parks with pavilions, sports courts, splash parks, skate parks
- Extensive bus service
Housing in the Vernon area is plentiful and affordable. There are excellent options for every lifestyle, from urban, turn-key condos to large, working farms. The very walkable downtown core is home to multi-unit buildings, older, single-family homes in established neighbourhoods, and historic houses on charming, leafy streets. Family-friendly strata developments with high-end amenities surround the city center. Retirement communities and executive homes on large lots fill the surrounding hills. Secluded acreages lie further out, but still within an easy commute to all Vernon amenities. There is something for every home buyer, here.