Built on the shores of Okanagan Lake, Kelowna provides residents with all of the benefits of urban life, while maintaining its heritage charm and rural roots.
The biggest city in the region, this is a four-season playground. Beaches, mountains, world-class skiing and golf courses and a thriving cultural scene have long attracted visitors and residents. Tourism is an essential pillar of the bustling economy, along with agriculture, medicine, higher education, and most recently, the tech sector. Forestry and natural resources also comprise a significant employment base. The Okanagan is a widely celebrated wine region, and Kelowna wineries consistently win global awards, making wine tourism increasingly popular. Lush vineyards nestle in the hills, among mature orchards and small farms.
Kelowna is an excellent place to raise a family, with child-friendly amenities, an extensive park system, numerous extracurricular opportunities, and outstanding public and private schools.
Plentiful post-secondary educational opportunities and a vibrant nightlife make it a favourite place for young adults. A focus on healthy living helps Kelowna attract retirees from across Canada, as well as outdoor enthusiasts of all ages.
- Beautiful views over lake and mountains
- Variety of housing options
- Major urban center with all amenities
- Walkable, vibrant historic downtown
- Heritage district
- Cultural district, public art program
- World-class wine region, internationally acclaimed wineries
- Convenient agricultural areas
- Multiple clubs and organizations
- Multiple community events and festivals
- Plentiful restaurants (casual to fine dining)
- Plentiful retail options (boutique to big-box)
- Kelowna Rockets
- Golf courses
- Outdoor recreation opportunities (hiking, biking, watersports)
- Extensive provincial and regional parks system
- Convenient to world-class downhill and cross-country skiing
- Preschool, elementary, middle, and high schools (School District 23 and private schools)
- Okanagan College main campus
- University of British Columbia Okanagan
- Big White Ski Resort
- Central and regional library branches
- Museums and Art Gallery
- Theatres and concert venues
- Prospera Place Arena
- Community/Recreation centers
- Multiple indoor public pools
- Multiple ice arenas
- Seniors’ center
- Public beaches and boat launches
- Well-maintained public parks with pavilions, sports courts, splash parks, skate parks
- Extensive bus service
- Kelowna International Airport
- Kelowna General Hospital
- Regional law buildings, municipal services
Housing in Kelowna is as varied as its population. In the urban center, new condos, older, single-family homes and quaint historic houses thrive. Elsewhere, older, established communities abound, with large lots and quiet streets. Stunning new neighbourhoods with views and convenient amenities spread throughout the city. Gated subdivisions and retirement developments are plentiful. Seasonal residents appreciate the high rise towers and exceptional views. Conveniently located, smaller multi-unit buildings and townhomes are plentiful. Magnificent lakefront properties offer a luxury lifestyle. The outlying areas provide rural executive estates and working farms.
Kelowna residents love the perfect balance their city offers. Big city amenities and a recreational lifestyle, a diverse and welcoming population, and a stunning natural setting make this an excellent place to call home.